Described as ‘Pinup in Motion’, Mika Romantic is the epitome of classic burlesque entertainment. She was named one of the Sexiest Acts to Follow by GQ Magazine and won a title in the legendary Miss Viva Las Vegas burlesque pageant. In 2020, she was crowned ‘Duchess of Tease’ and ‘Judges Choice’ at the first TEASER Festival in New Orleans. Now she tackles 21st Century Burlesque’s 21 Questions…
1. How would you define yourself in three words?
Kind, Powerful, and Loving.
2. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
3. What is your biggest strength?
4. What is your biggest weakness?
My social skills.
5. When are you most happy and inspired?
Watching an old technicolor classic with an incredible wardrobe.
6. What is your favourite on-screen burlesque moment from film or TV?
Barbara Stanwyck singing Take it off the E string, Play it on the G string.
7. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
‘Always step out looking sharp’ – Grandma.
8. If you could switch lives with one person for a day, who would it be?
9. What’s the biggest myth or misconception about burlesque?
That it is just a Pussycat Dolls aesthetic.
10. If you could only perform to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Hard Hearted Hannah.
Mika Romantic performing. Click to view on YouTube.
11. What surprisingly useful things do you have in your show case?
Ibuprofen and two of everything.
12. Do you have a backstage ritual?
I take 3-5 meditative breaths, then shake my hands.
13. What advice would you give to new performers starting out today?
Find a way to communicate with your audience clearly. Taking your top off isn’t enough.
14. What is your proudest achievement?
I don’t think I could nail down any one moment. Creating ‘Mika’ has been the best thing I’ve ever done with my life.
15. What is your biggest regret?
Not becoming as successful as I am before my Grandma passed.
16. What is the biggest challenge facing today’s burlesque scene?
Censorship on social media platforms. You can’t post ads that have anything to do with burlesque and you get flagged for photos that aren’t any more risqué than a Kardashian post. It’s getting scary as social media is how we promote ourselves and shows. Just feels like more censorship of women.
17. If you could go back and tell yourself one thing when you started out in burlesque, what would it be?
Quality over quantity when creating acts.
18. What is a cause or issue that’s very important to you?
19. What are you currently reading, watching, and listening to?
Currently reading tarot cards every morning, binged some seasons of American Horror Story, and listening to a lot of swing, disco, and classic rock. Something about the fall reminds me of the 70s or 40s.
20. If you could share a dressing room with one performer for the rest of your career, who would it be?
Anyone from the Looking Glass Revue crew.
21. What would you like your life and career to look like in 10 years time?
I own a cabin on a big-ass lake in the woods, all paid for by swinging my tassels!